Serving as the foundation of Gazi University, Gazi Faculty of Education was founded in 1926 by Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey with the aim of educating teachers as Orta Muallim Mektebi (The School for Middle School Teacher Training). The school was moved to the building currently known as the Gazi University Rector’s office building in 1929 along with Ankara Primary School Teacher Training School for Boys and its name was changed into “Gazi Institute for Teacher Training and Education for Middle Schools”. The departments of Arts, Sports, Music, Pedagogy, French, English and German were established between 1929 and 1948. In the meantime, its name, which was “Gazi School of Teacher Training and Institute of Education”, was changed into “Gazi Institute of Education”. In 1980, as a result of the decision made by the Ministry of National Education (MoNE), our school was transformed into “Gazi Higher School of Teacher Training”, which provided education with a duration of 4 years. Since 1982, following the establishment of Gazi University, it has existed and functioned as “Gazi Faculty of Education”.
Courses are presented within a semester-based structure in the faculty. There is a wide range of elective courses that appeal to students’ interests and abilities in addition to compulsory ones.
The mission of Gazi Faculty of Education is to train teachers, experts, and academics who are faithful to the basic principles of the Turkish Republic, innovative, self-confident, and capable of learning, teaching, renovating themselves basing their practices on human development, thinking critically, guiding the society and to provide educational services that further educational theories and practices through high-quality research and development activities thanks to national and international collaborations.
The vision of Gazi Faculty of Education is to become a research and training institution which trains teachers by leading other institutions with its research and development studies that shape the future and by guiding the change and transformation of the Turkish educational system, and as a result, becoming a pioneer in its field.
Our faculty adopts the values given below as its guiding principles for all of its activities to realize its mission and vision statements:
- Protecting and improving societal and national values within the universality of science,
- Glorifying scientific freedom, creativity and original thinking,
- Being faithful to ethical values,
- Aiming for excellence,
- Pioneering societal and individual improvement through education,
- Training teachers and academic with expertise in their fields,
- Collaborating with national and international institutions,
- Integrating all the possible means of current technology into education and training processes,
- Committing oneself to academic consistency and honesty,
- Being transparent and accountable in all the work and activities that are carried out.